Tooth-Colored Fillings – Barton City, MI
Quick & Seamless Cavity Repair
For several generations, dentists always used a metal-based material called silver amalgam to fill in cavities. While the amalgam was effective, it had some major drawbacks, including its unsightly dark color. Today, a more aesthetically pleasing option is available. Here at Healthy Smiles Dental Care of Barton City, we are proud to offer tooth-colored fillings. This simple restorative treatment provides quick and seamless cavity repair. Continue reading this page to learn more about it.
Why Choose Healthy Smiles Dental Care of Barton City for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Comfortable Treatment Completed in a Single Appointment
- Completely Mercury-Free and Metal-Free
- Skilled & Friendly Dental Team
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Cavities are small holes in teeth that are the result of decay. The job of a filling is to fill in those spots so the decay does not worsen and so debris and outside stimuli cannot sneak into the cavity to cause irritation and infection. A cavity can allow a slightly damaged tooth to regain its full strength and pain-free function.
Tooth-colored fillings repair cavities with the use of a composite resin that is color-matched to blend in with the surrounding dentition. The resin has is completely metal-free and has a reputation for working well within the human body.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
The process of getting a tooth-colored filling usually requires just one appointment and often takes less than one hour. Here is an overview of how the fillings are placed:
- First, we numb the portion of the mouth where we will be working. (If a cavity is not particularly deep, numbing is not always necessary.)
- We remove decayed tissue from inside the cavity and then sanitize the tooth.
- We carefully insert the resin into the filling and harden it with a special curing light.
- We reshape the resin so it does not interfere with your bite.
- We polish the filling.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Here are some outstanding benefits of tooth-colored fillings:
- They are free of mercury, so they are great for patients who are concerned about potential health risks of amalgam fillings.
- They look very natural and will not detract from your smile’s beauty.
- They have the potential to last for several years.
- The resin bonds directly to teeth, meaning that tooth-colored fillings require less tooth preparation and tend to be more stable than metal amalgam fillings.
- Unlike metal, tooth-colored fillings do not expand and contract in response to temperature changes. They are therefore less likely to damage the surrounding dental structure.
- Tooth-colored fillings do not conduct temperatures as well as metal fillings, so dental sensitivity is reduced.
- Tooth-colored fillings do not stain the surrounding enamel.